The Cheshire High School Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) is a non-profit, volunteer organization, whose objective is to enhance the high school experience for the students of Cheshire High School (CHS). Through the PTO parents, guardians, teachers, and administrators work together to enrich the educational and social environment of CHS.
MISSION: The CHS PTO serves to inform parents of PTO and school activities and provides a venue for their participation. Working with the CHS staff, the CHS PTO provides students with enrichment programs as well as social and community service opportunities.
GOALS: Our goals include:
- Raising parent awareness of school and PTO activities and opportunities.
- Supporting the school in its mission to provide a quality education to the students of CHS.
- Encouraging open communication between parents and staff.
- Raising and administering funds to enhance the learning experiences and opportunities of students.
- Providing volunteer opportunities for parents through the PTO.
- Providing community service opportunities for students through the PTO Student Chapter
- Implementing any other goals that the CHS PTO may deem consistent with our mission statement.
MEETINGS: We encourage you to attend our monthly CHS PTO meetings. It’s a wonderful way to learn what is going on at CHS and with the PTO, and share in the PTO decision making process. Meetings are usually held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, at 6:30pm, in the CHS library.
MEMBERSHIP: Membership in the CHS PTO is open to all CHS parents, guardians and staff, and any community member who would like to support the CHS PTO. Your membership dollars help fund freshman orientation, grants for cultural enrichment activities, mini-grants for CHS staff and student organizations, the senior awards convocation, and college scholarships, as well as gifts to offset the cost of larger projects, such as the LED sign in front of the school.
The CHS PTO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and as such, all membership fees are fully tax deductible. The cost of membership is $20.00 per year. Everyone is encouraged to join. To do so, please fill out and send the PTO Membership Form found under PTO Business. You can also join and pay online – simply click Join the PTO Online.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: There are numerous opportunities for parents and staff to volunteer through the PTO. In addition to serving on the PTO Board of Directors as an Officer or Committee Chair, there are also opportunities for parents and staff to:
- Bake for Open House, Staff Appreciation events, Social events, Bake Sales and other events held at CHS;
- Help prior to or the night of the All Night Graduation Party (last day of school);
- Assist at our Fundraising events;
- Serve on the PTO Scholarship Committee (Freshmen, Sophomore or Junior parents only) to help select qualified Seniors for our Scholarship awards;
- Help with the PTSO (PTO Student Chapter) at their monthly meetings and/or service projects;
- And other general volunteer opportunities.
COMMUNICATION: The CHS PTO produces three Newsletters each year which are emailed to all members and posted on this website. Members also receive e-mail notifications with important PTO information and notices about upcoming PTO activities or events. Notices are posted on the PowerSchool announcements. And be sure to follow us on Facebook!
DONATIONS: The CHS PTO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization; all cash donations are fully tax deductible. If your employer sponsors a “donation matching fund” program, please consider naming the CHS PTO to receive these funds. 100% of all donations go directly to the CHS PTO and are greatly appreciated. Donations can be mailed to CHS PTO Treasurer, 525 South Main Street, Cheshire, CT 06410. Please write PTO Donation on the memo line of the check.
SCHOLARSHIPS: The CHS PTO offers several PTO scholarships awarded annually to graduating seniors. Information about the scholarships is available in the documents below. Anyone who would like to donate to our scholarships specifically may write PTO Scholarship on the memo line of the check sent to the donations address above.
COMMITTEES: The PTO is made up of several committees, each an integral part of what we do. For a list of the committees and the board members who facilitate them, please see the Job Descriptions document below.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For additional information about the CHS PTO, or to contact any PTO officer or committee chair, please e-mail our president at email@example.com